Why focus on website performance?
If you run an ecommerce website, page performance should be one of your top priority as realized by retail giants indicated in this blog
- Walmart found that:
- For every 1 second of improvement they experienced up to a 2% increase in conversions
- For every 100 ms of improvement, they grew incremental revenue by up to 1%
- Shopzilla speeded up average page load time from 6 seconds to 1.2 seconds, and increased revenue by 12% and page views by 25%.
- Amazon increased revenue by 1% for every 100ms of improvement (same as Walmart).
- Yahoo increased traffic by 9% for every 400ms of improvement.
- Finally, Mozilla got 60 million more Firefox downloads per year, by making their pages 2.2 seconds faster.
Now that we understand the importance of page performance lets look into some techniques we can use to improve it.